Monday, May 5, 2014

The Voice

HOLA FAMILIA!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! I'm sure that all of your are eating tacos or did this past weekend for the ward's Cinco de Mayo party. I'll just tell you that tacos here are WAY better. I tried my first Tacos al Pastor off the street. I didn't get sick and it was so delicious. I wish I could eat them every day. But alas, the budget of a missionary doesn't allot for that. :)

Also, Mom reminded me that I hit 3 months in the mission today. Time is so weird here. I feel like I've been here for so much longer but at the same time, I don't. 

I swear Adelle is haunting me. I have never been told that I look like her before I came to Mexico. Also, the man sitting next to me at the ciber right now just asked me what 'Set Fire to the Rain' means in spanish. He is listening to all Adelle songs. I thought it was a joke. haha. And as he was leaving he tried to kiss me. But it's ok because we found out he has talked with missionaries before and he's basically our neighbor so we are going to go teach him this week. Sweet! Anyway, Adelle is haunting me. Also, 'The Call' by the Backstreet Boys is playing and it's cracking me up. Oh Mexico.

We visit a family of recent converts every week and I love them. This week they told me that # 1 I am looking skinny. Best compliment ever. Not sure if I actually am but it made me feel good. #2 They think I have the best voice ever. They told me that I need to audition for The Voice when I get home and that they would sell all of their goats and cows to vote for me. HAHAHA. 

It's only been one week since I've had a normal companionship and guess what? We got a call this morning with special changes. We are going to be in a trio at least for the next few days. Not quite sure what's going to happen but previously our ward had two sets of missionaries and I think we are only going to have one because our new companion is one of the sisters in the other companionship in our ward. Does that make sense? Anyway, We don't know what's going to happen but if I get changed away from Hermana Garcia, I'll probably have a breakdown. 

Which leads me to my next point. Aligning our will with the Lord. I was studying that the last few days in my personal study and realized that this is something I need to work on. The gospel of Jesus Christ is Faith, Repentance, Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the End...as we learn in Preach My Gospel. But why? What is the purpose? The purpose is to help up become like our Savior. That is what we are trying to do here in this life. What did the Savior do? He did many things...most notably he suffered and died for each one of us and three days later, He rose from the dead, overcoming both spiritual and physical death. But overall, what did He do? He did the will of His Father. If we want to become like Jesus Christ, we must align our will with God's will. And really, it is smart to do that because God knows exactly what is best for us. It may be hard, we will have to sacrifice, be uncomfortable, and endure, but we will also be much happier. We will become more like the Savior and more like the person the Lord wants us to become. We must also remember this is a life long pursuit but everything in the gospel is designed to help us realize our potential. 

The highlight of the week was yesterday in church, our convert Adrian got up and bore his testimony like a pro. He is really excited about the church and the ward has really rallied around him. So great. 

Now, to anyone who reads this email: If you've served a mission or if you haven't, I would like suggestions on creative ways to teach the lessons in Preach My Gospel. Any type of object lessons or anything that would keep someone's attention better or explain a concept more clearly. I feel like I have lost all of my creative abilities. Or if you have any recipes for things that don't require an oven, that would be cool, too. Ok thanks. 

I love you all. This gospel is true. 

Love, 

Hermana Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment