Monday, May 12, 2014

Iguala

Oh hey everyone!

I hope you had a good week. Mine was...well, it felt like a month long.

First, remember how last week I mentioned we had special changes on Monday? Well, Hna. Garcia and I were in a trio with Hna. Vasquez for a day and we got calls for special changes again on Tuesday. And guess who they were for? Me. Hna. Garcia answered the phone and I knew it was going to be for me. I started bawling in the middle of the road. I know that changes happen all the time on the mission, but this was especially hard. Hna. Garcia became my best friend. I'm pretty sure we knew each other in the pre-exsistence. haha...but seriously. I was only with her for 7 1/2 weeks but it felt like I knew her forever. Plus she was my trainer and I thought I had at least another month with her.The worst part is we aren't serving anywhere near each other so I have no idea when we will get to see each other next. The change happened on Wednesday and I cried on the way to the offices, in the office, and the first night in Iguala. I'm praying everyday that by some miracle we will serve together again. I know it'll never happen but WHO KNOWS! 

Another sad thing was I didn't get to say goodbye to my friends in Cuaunauhac Ward. Hopefully one day I can come back and visit them. 

By the way, I'm in Iguala now. My new companion is Hermana Hernandez from Vera Cruz, MX. She is super nice and helpful. I'm sure my spanish is going to improve since I can't really speak English to her. She knows some English and she wants me to help her learn more. Iguala is SO HOT. When I first got here, I got off the bus and hit a wall of heat. I'm pretty sure it's equal to Las Vegas but more humidity. The rainy season is about to start though and they say it gets cooler so that is exciting. Also, there aren't any hills in my area which is a tender mercy. Oh, we have a swamp cooler thing in our bedroom so I can actually sleep. Another blessing from above. And...we had 2 earthquakes in 3 days. One was during the night and I woke up to my bed moving back and forth. The end is near, people! haha.

Our ward is super great. In my few short days here, I have noticed that we have a lot of support from the members. We share the ward with the zone leaders. We are the first sisters this ward has had in a long time and are opening the area and trying to find people to teach. Yesterday we got to church and they introduced me as the new missionary and asked if I would lead the music. Welcome to the ward! IN Gospel Principles class, the teacher asked anyone if they has any questions and that I would be able to answer them. Luckily noone had any questions. :) 

ALSO...IT WAS SO GOOD TO TALK TO YOU YESTERDAY. Oh my goodness, when you opened up skype and everyone was sitting in the living room...what a sight for sore eyes. We were missing Katie and Christen but I got to see Chelsea's pregnant little belly and my cute little nieces and nephews and everyone. I got a great view of Emily since she was front and center half the time :). I even sang Do You Wanna Build a Snowman with Hallie and Lydia. Man, it was good to talk to you all. It made me so happy, which I needed. 

I have a lot to be grateful for. I need to remember that. I also need to remember that the Lord is always there and answers prayers. I'm grateful for the tender mercies I experience every day. Thank you for your prayers and love. They mean the world to me and I know they help sustain me in my hard days. I'm grateful for the gospel in my life. I hope that I can become a better missionary everyday so that I can help others understand that this gospel is the way to true happiness. Everyday I try to trust more in my Savior. It's definitely a process but luckily I have 18 months and the rest of my life to figure it out.

LOVE YOU ALL MORE THAN I COULD EVER EXPRESS IN WORDS. 

Love,


Hermana Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment