Thursday, March 6, 2014

Happy 1 Month Anniversary to ME!

Hola!! 

It's my one month anniversary with the MTC. I must say, we've had our set of differences and challenges but we are overcoming them and I'm beginning to appreciate my time here more. I can't believe it's only been a month, but I also can't believe that I only have a week and a half left until I'm in Mexico! WHAT?!

I've have a lot of fun things happen this past week. First, though, my district has discovered my deep love for A1 sauce and thinks I have a problem. But it's not my fault it's just so good (plus the meat doesn't always taste great so I want to add some flavor). They tried to stage an intervention last night but I explained that it wouldn't work. I'm too stubborn. Dina -- if you read these, I know you will understand. :)

Speaking of food...I just recently discovered that the main campus cafeteria is WAY BETTER than what we have on the West campus. Our cafeteria is in a portable kind of thing...and there are usually 1-2 options each meal of things to eat. I went up to Main Campus on Monday with some Hermanas in my district (one needed to go to the health clinic) and I saw the light. We ate there today after the temple! I think it's probably a good thing I'm not up there, though. I would eat way too much. Plus they have an ice cream bar (WITH HOT FUDGE!) my weakness. Ok, I'm realizing it's a good thing I live down here. But I don't know why people up on Main Campus complain about the food...they don't know how good they have it. Also, the food here isn't that bad. I mean, it could definitely be better but I'm grateful for what I have. 

So last Wednesday, Hma. Hoffman and I discovered that we both really like to sing and we sound really good together. She can harmonize like crazy so we decided to try out for a musical number...because, WHY NOT? So we picked "Come Thou Fount" and practiced it a few times. Try outs for musical numbers are Thursday mornings. We didn't have an accompanist so we figured we would try out a capella and then see if we could find one later. Well, we got to try outs and they said we HAD to have our accompanist with us. Luckily, there was an Elder trying out for a piano solo who could sight read so it all worked out. We ran it with him once and tried out! It went well. Sister Nally, the MTC president's wife, was the "judge" and apparently she has perfect pitch. Can you imagine? I think that would be maddening! haha. Anyway, we said we did good and gave us a few pointers on how to improve and then put us in the "YES" pile. Later that day we got a letter inviting us to sing at the new missionary fireside Wednesday (TODAY) at 4pm. So I am performing a little bit later today. Wish me luck. We haven't practiced with our accompanist since last Thursday (because who has time for stuff like that here) so hopefully all goes well! :)

The Provo Temple President and his wife spoke to us on Sunday. Man, I know I say this a lot, but I love the temple. They talked about the power of the temple and how it blesses us as missionaries. SO TRUE.

Yesterday, we had an awesome devotional with Elder Aidukaitis (I don't know if that is actually how you spell his name) of the 70 and his wife. He is Brazilian and hilarious. Seriously. He has us all cracking up. But I really enjoyed his message. The thing that stood out to me was that we have been reserved to come to the earth at this specific time for specific reasons. It isn't just by chance that we were born now. We didn't just pick a date out of a hat in heaven. We have a purpose here...every single one of us! I loved that. I KNOW that I have been prepared specifically to serve this mission and that the Lord needs me to be here at this time because there are people he is preparing to hear my voice. Pretty interesting to think about, no? You are here for a reason. I don't think I know my full purpose yet, but at this time of my life, I know it is to be a missionary. If you haven't figured out what your reason is, pray and ask God because He knows. If you don't believe in God or you don't believe God loves you or has a plan for you, I have some friends called missionaries who would be happy to teach you about Him and His plan for you. :) I'm so excited to teach people about this gospel. 

Another thing I have been thinking a lot about is how much this gospel blesses people. There are many people...including members of the church, who view it as another list of "DO's and DON'Ts", maybe added burdens. I've thought before, "How can I ask people, who are struggling with so much, to sacrifice even more. Pay tithing every month, go to church for 3 hours every week, serve in a calling, etc?" But then I think about how much serving in this church, keeping the commandments, and doing all of those things have blessed and continue to bless my life. This gospel doesn't add burdens...it takes away burdens! HOW CAN I NOT SHARE THIS WITH PEOPLE?! How can I not invite others to repent and feel the love of their Savior more in their life? How can I not encourage others to live according to the commandments? They're only going to receive more blessings than they could ever imagine...no big deal. 

I should be receiving my travel plans this Friday!!! Mom -- I will let you know next Wednesday when I can call and say hi. Not sure how that will work? Do I need a phone card or can I just borrow someone's cell phone at the airport? I guess I'll figure it out. I also got your package and everything in it was perfect. THANK YOU!

So funny story, we were teaching our TRC investigator yesterday and she asked about the picture of Lehi and his family in the front of the blue copy of theBook of Mormon. We were trying to explain it and didn't know the word for "boat" so Hna. Hoffman called it a "carro de agua" or "water car" and our investigator starting busting up laughing. Good times. Also, we were practicing the first lesson on Friday night. Let me just preface this with "everything is funnier at the MTC on Friday night." We are all a little loopy. So Elder Montierth and Elder Lower were teaching me (pretending to be an investigator) about Joseph Smith and Elder Lower was saying that he read James 1:5 in the bible and decided to pray to know what church to join. So then Elder Montierth joined in and was like "Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon" totally skipped a whole bunch of information there. We all started laughing and couldn't stop for 5 minutes. Even our teacher was cracking up. That probably isn't funny to anyone else, but it made me laugh. :)

Anyway...my emails are always so long. Sorry...but not really. I just want to make sure you all know what I'm actually doing here at the good old MTC. I'm learning so much everyday. I am learning so much about our Savior and how he truly loves everyone. He is so merciful. I know this gospel is true! I know that this church is truly lead by Jesus Christ. I love having His name over my heart everyday. What a privilege. I know the Book of Mormon is a true book! Reading it will bring anyone closer to their Savior. 

Well, I hope everyone has a great week! Thanks for all the letters and love! You are all truly the best! 

Con amor,

Hermana Durham :)

Pictures:
My comps and me with the district that left this week! I LOVED ALL of these elders! They are the greatest!

Me and Elders Sparks. We were talking about the awkward space we have to have between us since he's an Elder and I'm a Sister...so we made it even more awkward. I MISS HIM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment