Monday, March 31, 2014

Adele in Cuernavaca

Hola!

It's Hermana Durham...or should I say Adele. This week, I had 2 different people tell me I look like Adele. I have NO clue what they are thinking. It's only because we have the same skin tone and light eyes. Half the time I look super gross because I'm sweating my face off. But maybe this can work to my advantage. If they think I'm famous, then maybe they'll want to listen to what I have to say. OR maybe I could go Gladys Knight status and hold a concert pretending I'm Adele. Oh the possibilities...

A lot of people comment on how pale I am. Mostly they tell me that I should wear a hat or sunscreen. But the best comment was from a member in our ward, Hermana Judith. She is hilarious. The other day we were leaving her house and she asked if I was wearing white socks! I couldn't tell if she was joking or not but she was laughing so I'm guessing she was. Then she told me my skin matched my shirt (which was off white). hahahaha Thanks, Hermana. I guess I don't realize how odd I must look here. BUT, although it is faint, I am getting a shoe tan line.

Also, the bugs had a feast on my legs this week. I felt like I was being eaten alive. I had bug bites all over my legs...and they looked like welts. We had a ward activity and one member tried giving me bug spray because she saw my legs. I told her I had some but it doesn't work very well. They've calmed down now, though.

We are really trying to work with the ward to get references of people to teach. Contacting on the street is great and all, but no one we meet wants to come to church on Sunday. I know there are people here that are prepared to hear the gospel, we just need to find them. I really think the members are key to that. 

We ate dinner with a member yesterday. She is a convert and less active and is coming back to church. She is super awesome! She was telling us about the family history sunday school class she is going to and how excited she is to do the family history and temple work for her parents. She has never been to the temple but plans on going when she gets all the information. It got me so excited about teaching people the plan of salvation and how we can be with our families forever. What a message of hope! We have the authority to seal families together for eternity. People who didn't have a chance to hear the message of the gospel on earth will have a chance in heaven. 

I watched the General Women's broadcast in Spanish. I understood less than half of what was said but what I understood, I liked. I really liked the video they showed (mostly because it has no words but also because it was super cute. When President Eyring got up I just started crying! I couldn't understand what he was saying but I know he is an apostle of the Lord. I can't wait to watch General Conference this week (I'm pretty sure Im going to watch it in English!) and to hear from the voices of living prophets and apostles! Everyone should watch it!

Although I still can't communicate as I would like, I love these people. Some days are super frustrating because nobody wants to listen. It's sad because I know this gospel will change lives. We have the secret to true happiness!!! Little by little we will get our message across. 

I know this gospel is true. I know that everyday I'm being supported in this work. I couldn't do this on my own. I know that God loves all His children. I know that Christ is the Savior of the world. This is His true and complete gospel! 

I love you all! Thanks for your support!

Love,

Hermana Durham

No comments:

Post a Comment