Monday, April 13, 2015

The Attack of the Cockroaches



Ok, so Hna Corriveau and I need to move. We hit our last wits end last night. Let me tell you about it. 

So Sunday morning there was a HUGE cockroach on the wall in the room where I keep my clothes. I was too freaked out to try and kill it because did I mention that THEY FLY?! Yeah, so I just left it there and hoped that it would find its way back outside. Well, we returned from working all day and IT WAS STILL THERE hanging out on the wall. We had got some permetrin (it's like powerful bug killer stuff) and we put it in a spray bottle and I sprayed the cockroach on the wall and IT STARTED FLYING AT ME!!!! I was screaming SO loud and Hna. Corriveau came in and killed it. Then, this is the worst part. There is a hole in the wall in the room that I live in, and I am pretty sure cockroaches and maybe a rat live in there. So I started spraying the hole, too. And my literal worst nightmare happened and cockroaches just started running out of the hole. I feel terror as I write this. You know that mice game in Chuck E Cheese where they come out of the hole and you have to smash them down - that was what happened except Hna. Corriveau did all the smashing. Did I mention that I love her? It was like in Men In Black when the bugs just run out of the wall. Ugh. Also, I couldn't sleep last night because I kept feeling cockroaches on me and I kept dreaming about them. Actually, I think I woke up and yelled out because I thought one was on me, but it was just my imagination. When we got up, we went into the room where we sprayed the bug killer stuff and there were literally 8 dead cockroaches. Also, 2 dead ones in the shower and 1 in our room. Then, my poor companion was changing and she grabbed her garments and a cockroach ran out of where she keeps her garments. She screamed so loud and said, I'M DONE! WE ARE NOT COMING BACK TO THIS HOUSE EVER AGAIN. But it was a testimony that my Heavenly Father loves me because it happened to her. She actually told me it's better that it happened to her than me. The church is true, people. That's the only thing keeping me going in that house. But trust me, we are making it a priority to find another house. ASAP.

But everything will be ok because this little 3 year old in the ciber just gave me a beso on the cheek. 

Ok, our week. This week was good. We did divisions on Tuesday with one companionship in our zone and it was so fun. We stayed the night and went with them the next day for just half the day. I went with Hna. AlbiƱa who is from Chile and she is SO cool. I love her accent, too. She and her companions (they are in a trio) have a ward that didn't have missionaries for the last year and there are a lot of menos activos. We went to go visit a few people and we actually talked to a less active lady that really wants to come back to church. She told us that she was so happy we came by and that she really needs the peace and happiness that the gospel brings in her life again. We also went looking for a family and found a complete family of 5! They all accepted a baptismal date and we were so excited! It was fun just spending time with her and getting to know her better. The sisters in our mission are so awesome, and I feel very blessed to have the chance to get to know the ones that are assigned to me better.

We also went to the offices this week to FINALLY get my visa stuff worked out. And guess who was there?! MIS HIJAS! Hna. Skonnard came to finish her stuff, so she and Hna. Garcia were in the offices and I was so excited to see them both. They are doing great in Iguala! I also got to see Elder Montierth from the MTC and it was fun to catch up with him. I can't believe it's been over a year since we got to Mexico. Where has the time gone?

Did I mention that I am the STL for Hna. Garcia, my trainer?!?! She is serving in a zone that is totally far from us, but by divine inspiration we were assigned her area and another area in this zone. And I will get to see her today. We are doing divisions with her tomorrow, and Wednesday with the other set of sisters so we won't hardly be in our area this week, but it will be fun to be with them! I had faith that I would be with her again before she finished her mission and the Lord made it happen! We will be reunited in about an hour!!

Let me just tell you about Katya. I told you about her last week, but I am not sure if I mentioned that she isn't married. Well, she isn't. Her boyfriend is an inactive member of the church and we are trying to get him to start coming back. We were worried about the married thing, but we talked to her about the law of chastity and she said that she would pray and talk to her boyfriend and see what he said, but that she would be willing to move out (they live together) in order to be baptized. We went yesterday after church to talk with her and she told us that the other day she was praying for the way to be opened for her to keep this commandment and the strength to talk to her boyfriend about it. She said that literally 5 minutes after she prayed, Fernando walked in from work and said, 'Do you want to get married?' and she said, 'Do you?' and he said that he did want to marry her and that she just needed to pick the date! She said that it was such an immediate answer to her prayer and it just strengthened her testimony even more that this is the true church. So we should be having a wedding AND baptism in a few weeks!

We also have been finding a lot of people to teach. But I will tell you, sometimes it is frustrating. Yesterday we were teaching a family and I felt like they totally understood everything. They agreed that little babies shouldn't be baptized, and we explained very clearly the authority of the priesthood, but when we challenged them to baptism they were like...well, we were baptized when we were babies in the Catholic Church. I kind of wanted to scream, but I kept my calm and reminded them that less than 4 minutes ago they had said they didn't agree that babies should be baptized. We eventually got them to accept a date to be baptized, but we were so exhausted after that lesson. We really hope to help them progress and work with them because it is a complete family of 4! We are praying and fasted yesterday to find complete families, so we hope they are one of the families being prepared for the gospel. 

Despite all the cockroaches, we are happy to be here in Alpuyeca together. Hna. Corriveau and I get along really well and I am grateful for all she is teaching me. Our area is really full of so many prepared people and we are working hard to find them and help them make eternal covenants with our Heavenly Father. Also, the members really love us. Our new BFF is Sol. She is the sister-in-law (soon to be) of Katya and she is the best. The other day we went over and she ended up giving us each a pair of shoes, skirts, lip gloss and perfume. She is so nice and I am grateful for her because she introduced us to Katya and best of all, always gives us references. She is literally the best. And there are so many other members here that really are great. 

I honestly love the gospel. This church is so true it's not even funny. I am grateful to be a missionary, and even on those days where I get really burned from the sun (because that also happened this week) and my feet hurt from walking so much and I come home to a cockroach filled house, I still think...it's so worth it. Maybe not in the actual moment, but definitely as I look back on it all. :) 

I hope you all have the best week ever. Read your scriptures, say your prayers, go to church and I promise that EVERYTHING will work out. I wish I could write you every little miracle and detail about my life here because there are so many hilarious, miraculous, fabulous things that I experience everyday that I wish I could share. But just know that it's the best and the church is true and that Heavenly Father loves all of his children. He really, truly does.

Love you all!

Hermana Durham



 You probably can't see but there are cows in the background. This is how we find people, "walk all the way down until you see the vacas and then turn right past the chicken coop and we are the second house on the left". I love Mexico.




No comments:

Post a Comment