Monday, September 1, 2014

Hola Again

Hello Family,

The last week in the change...and I am staying here with Hna. Ward, like I predicted. We have only been here and month...sometimes it feels like more. We are working really hard to try and find people who are prepared for the gospel and have many investigators that are progressing and changing their lives. 

We visited the Pintor Family this week and Tomas told us a story that made me so happy. Before he got baptized, he drank coffee (like pretty much everyone here) but he gave it up with no problems. He now drinks apple or lemon tea. He said that at work, all of his coworkers drink coffee and he used to drink with them, too. One day, they made a cup for him and said 'here is your coffee, Tomas!' He respectfully declined and showed them his tea. He told them that he doesn't drink coffee anymore. Of course they asked him why and he said 'Because I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! I am a Mormon now!' He used the correct name of the church and everything!!! They were all suprised and made a few jokes, but he happily drank his tea and went on with his business. He said one of his coworkers is going through a hard time, so she likes to come and talk to him because she feels something different about him. He said he talks to her about the church! I almost cried when he told me this because he is truly becoming converted. He is taking his baptismal covenant seriously and being a witness of Christ in all times and in all places. I told him to keep sharing the gospel and when his friends at work are ready, we would love to meet them!

My area is huge...and this isn't an exaggeration. We have a Family Group that meets about 45 minutes away because it's really far to come to the chapel each week and there are enough of them up there to have a sacrament meeting. We went to sacrament meeting with them for the first time since getting here and gave talks. There were about 16 of us in total. I really wish we could work up in that area more because I want to help this area grow, but it's nearly impossible because it is super far, costs a lot of money, and most of the members that live there work during the week so they aren't home to accompany us. It's like in the mountains so it is a little hard to find houses and it would be more safe with members. But I am hoping we can get some references from the members that live up there so we can start to get to know the area more. 


Yesterday during the 3 hour of church we watched a recording of a talk given by Elder Bednar at BYU about the use of technology in the church and missionary work. I really wish I had more access to the awesome stuff the church publishes on lds.org and mormon.org. It was really interesting to see all the cool things the church is doing. He said that this is just a drop of what is to come and that he expects us as members to utilize social media to help spread the gospel. Well, I can't do that much on the mission here, but I would like to remind you all that the social media outlets we have can be used for good...and should be used for good. Just somethings to remember.

We ate with the Patriarch and his wife twice this last week and it was so fun talking to him. He was a missionary in Cuernavaca over 50 years ago and is in the same ward as many of his converts! He met his wife on his mission and returned to marry her after he got home. So crazy. Anyway, it was fun talking to him and hearing his mission stories and how much the church has grown since that time. I am grateful to be a part of the growth of the church here in this part of the world!

I love you all. I have a testimony that this church is true. So so true. It changes the lives of those who live it. I am grateful to have a prophet today that leads and guides the church under the direction of Jesus Christ. I am SO EXCITED for conference in a month. It's one of the best times of the year for missionaries!

Love you all! Have a fantastic week!

Love, 
Hermana Durham


Part of my district and some random Hermano from the other ward. My district leader got transferred (Elder Estrada) and it is sad because he is probably one of the most spiritual missionaries I have ever met. I will miss his district meetings!

No comments:

Post a Comment