Monday, August 18, 2014

I Am Wearing A Sweater

It is actually kind of cold in my area. Maybe I am just used to the deathly heat of Iguala, but I pulled out my cardigans that I brought with me because my area is high in the mountains and actually is a little cold. And by cold I mean, Las Vegas in October...it's nice, but with wind you need a little something to keep you comfortable.
Another week...where does the time go? I couldn't tell you. We are still trying to find our area and get to know the people in the ward. He got lost a few times and we ran out of minutes on our phone so that was an adventure. We are getting the hang out things for the most part but we want to move houses because we live really far from our area. We are in the process of looking for a new place and we have some members helping us out in the looking process.

There is a sister in the ward who is American and came down here about 9 months ago to learn spanish and to just hang out. She has a friend here and decided 'what the heck, I'll go to Mexico.' She ended up getting a job teaching English at a preppy high school so she didn't actually learn any spanish, but she is super cool and had us over la comida this week. Hna. Ward and I almost died of happiness when we saw rolls, mashed potatoes, salad, gravy, chocolate pudding...everything fattening and American. I almost cried. She went on a mission when she was old like me, so we bonded over that. We made her sign up for one more day before she heads back to the US. Don't get me wrong, I love Mexico but it smelt like home when I walked into her apartment. 

I also felt a little bit at home today because we found a walmart in our area and went there to buy groceries. They don't have my facewash...but they had lots of other good things...like Kraft Mac N Cheese. We bought it to have for lunch today. So delicious. haha. 

 This week we focused a lot of the family Pintor because Tomas and Edgar needed a few more lessons and their interview for their baptism. Man, this family is so great. Tomas talks a lot and you can tell that he has a big desire to learn and to do what is right. Edgar is 19 and married to Helen. They are so great. I like them both so much. Helen was actually born in the US and lived there until she was 13 so she speaks English but is loosing it because she doesn't practice. I told her to practice with me and she got so excited! She was like...I was going to ask but I felt silly doing it. I told her 'WHY? You talk better in English than I do in Spanish!' We were trying to teach Eder...the youngest son of Tomas how to say things in English. I would say 'Hi! How are you!? and he would look at me and say 'YES!' Then I would tell him what to say and he would just say YES. haha. 

The highlight of the week was THE BAPTISM!!! Tomas and Edgar were so prepared and so ready for this. The baptism went perfectly...the water here is actually clear which was a huge relief. haha. Our mission leader put together the program and put it on facebook so we had a lot of people from the ward and investigators there. The spirit was so strong. I love baptisms. It makes it all worth it to see someone enter into the waters of baptism and change their life for the better. The 1st counselor in the bishopric was conducting and he asked Tomas and Edgar to give their testimonies/feelings and I almost cried. Especially when Edgar spoke because he is more reserved than Tomas is and doesn't share his feeling much. He said that he couldn't describe the feeling that he had in his heart and that he knows that this is the true church. He is excited to start a new life and follow the example of Jesus Christ. I was bursting with happiness. I just can't explain what it's like as a mission to see these people change and give us their old lives to start a new one on the right and true path. 

They were confirmed members of the church, received the gift of the Holy Ghost and were ordained to the priesthood on Sunday. They were so content and you could just see a difference in the way they looked. Eder, the youngest son, has a baptismal date for this Saturday if all goes according to plan. AND Tomas will be able to baptize him! How beautiful is that? I love the gospel so much. 

I am grateful for the blessings of the gospel. I know that this gospel changes lives. It brings families closer together and helps us overcome our weaknesses and become the people that our Father in Heaven wants us to become. 

I love you all. Thanks for your love and support. 

Love,
Hermana Durham

pictures:
 The Pintors have this bird and I was trying to take a picture kissing it and it BIT MY LIP! So that is how I captured this beautiful picture. Enjoy.

With the little devil bird. He pooped on me the next day. 


Eating Elote for the first time. It's corn on the cob with mayo, cheese, and chile powder. Sounds gross but it¿s good. Also, I'll probably come home with diabetes. Gotta love Mexican Food.






We ate at a family's hosue and they had these awesome chairs so we took a pictures, obvs.

BAPTISM!!! Back row: Ramon (baptized Edgar), Bishop Alarcon (baptized Tomas), Hna. Ward, Me
Front row: Helen, Edgar, Tomas, Eder

Me, Helen, Edgar, Eder, Tomas, Hna. Ward







Crazy eyes...I taught him how to do that. My only talent. haha

Some awesome mexican hats. 

Mac N Cheese for lunch. YUM.


No comments:

Post a Comment