Monday, November 3, 2014

La Calaverta Tiene Hambre



Hello Family,

How are you are this week? I hope you all enjoyed eating lots of candy and seeing really cool costumes. My Halloween was candy-less and costume-less. I did want to dress up as a Jehova's Witness to see if we would have more success, but I decided against it. :)

The weeks seem to be going by so fast, but the days are long. That's the mission for ya. But can you believe that in TWO days I will have 9 months in the mission! That is like having a baby. I really can't believe that I am half-way done. It's going to go by so fast so I am going to do my best to enjoy it all!

This week was good. We all had to go to get our flu shots on Tuesday (Mom, I am sure you are so happy about that). I got to see a bunch of missionaries there since we are all still in Cuernavaca. I was surprised at how scared some of the missionaries, especially the elders, were to get the shot! It doesn't even hurt. I forgot to mention this last week, but because all of the Iguala missionaries are here, Hermana Hernandez in in my zone for now. I am not sure if you remember the email I sent when I got the special changes to come to Cuernavaca, but my last week in Iguala, we found a man named Antonio. We had a member with us the day we contacted him for the first time. Because the member was with us, we figured out that his wife was a member of the church, but that she had died a few years before. We told him that he could be with his wife again and he accepted a baptismal date. Hermana Hernandez told me that he got baptized! And that he said he would never miss church. I was so happy to hear that! After you leave an area, you don't always find out if your investigators got baptized, but it was awesome to hear that I did some good there and that Antonio is now a member of the church.

On Friday...Halloween or should I say NEVADA DAY...we, the 8 missionaries in our ward, decided to do something different. There was an exhibition of ofrendas for El Día de Los Muertos in a park in our area. A bunch of people had booth and activities set up. We went and set up a booth and handed out the 'My Family' booklets about family history and plan of salvation pamphlets. One of the members in our ward who is super awesome helped up set up and we talked to a TON of people about family history and the plan of salvation. A lot of people are interested in finding their ancestors. We got a few appointments out of it and a lot of people went home with copies of the Book of Mormon, pamphlets, and maybe one day they will read them! haha. That is the hope anyway. It was fun to do something different than what we do every day and it was fun to be with all 8 of the sisters in my ward.

Saturday, we went and ate with a family from Peru that lives here...and well, the food did not sit well with me. We ate ceviche (raw fish...) it was actually pretty good, but about 30 minutes later, I was in the bathroom. We did a service project with our ward at an old folks home and it was super fun, but I was in and out of the bathroom the whole time!!! We sang songs and talked with the people in the home. I love old people so much. I can't wait to be an old lady, it's like my dream. Anyway, Some of them never get visits and so they loved having us come and sing. I hope we go back again. After we left, my stomach was hurting really bad, so I ended up going home and hanging out in the bathroom for a few hours. Not my idea of a fun Saturday night...haha. But don't worry, I didn't die and I'm mostly fine now. :)

In Mexico, they do go trick-or-treating but they sing a song called 'La Calaverta Tiene Hambre' and it is really cute. Mostly people dress up as zombies, dead people and witches...I think there is more creativity in the US, but it was super cute to see the little kids dressed up. I definitely missed seeing my nieces and nephews in their costumes!

Our investigator Cesar can only meet on Sunday mornings but it's ok because he is seriously golden. He reads everything we assign him and always asked great questions. Yesterday I asked him if he had prayed and received his answer to whether or not the church was true and he was like 'yeah...I know it is true.' Alright! haha. Lucy is also progressing well and is stopping drinking coffee, which is huge! She would drink coffee multiple times a day, but she is really trying hard because she knows the church is true and wants to get baptized. And...Greco will be getting baptized this week!! Woo hoo!! I can't wait for his baptism. He is such a special little kid and is going to be a powerful missionary and leader in the church one day. I just know it.

We have zone conference coming up this week and I am super excited for it. We are doing skits again and I have a main part...the skit is kind of not funny, but hopefully it goes well! I will tell you more about it next week!

Make sure you get involved with the missionaries in your wards. Go out on visits with them, talk to people and invite them to church and go visit people who haven't been to church in a while. It will make a huge difference in your ward and in your life.

I love you all sooo much. Thank you for always thinking and praying for me. It really makes a difference.

Love,

Hermana Durham

 

Hna. Gongora, Hna. Zamora, Hna. Chambers, and I






No comments:

Post a Comment