Thursday, October 24, 2013

voted in



Because I kept my mission a secret from most everyone, and because most people never thought I would serve a mission, I had some great reactions from people. It was actually quite fun. I mean, head popping, eye bulging, mouth dropping fun. When I called some of my friends, I had to preface it with, No I’m not getting married…or dating anyone…or even like anyone. My best friend told me that she kept waiting for me to tell her that it was a joke. Nope, not a joke!

Some of my favorite reactions came from my friends at work. Many of them aren’t familiar with what a mission is or how it works. 

Me: Hey, guess what? I’m going on a mission for my church!
L: Wait, did you volunteer for this or were you voted in? If you volunteered I’m not going to be happy for you!
Me: I volunteered. You don’t really get voted in…
L: Ok, I’ll try to be happy for you...

Me: Hey, I’m going on a mission for my church to Mexico!
D: What? How long will you be there?
Me: A year and a half
D (eyes getting wider by the second): But…but…how will you survive? You won’t be working for 18 months!
Me: I’ll be ok.
D: But what will you eat?
Me: There is food in Mexico, D.
D: Who will you live with?
Me: I’ll live with a companion. Another sister missionary just like me.
D: (eyes very wide): A STRANGER?!
Hahahahahah. Yes, a very scary 19-year-old-mormon-girl-stranger.

 So what is a mission, really? Many people outside my faith view missions as a humanitarian trip or cultural experience. Those are true for an LDS mission but that's not all we do. We live in an unfamiliar place and serve others and learn of their culture and traditions. I will have the opportunity to help others with their temporal or physical welfare by performing acts of service. But more than that, my mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. My official purpose as a missionary is to “Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end."

So for a year and a half, I have the opportunity to help others by sharing the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I get to teach people that they are literally children of a Heavenly Father who loves them perfectly, despite their weaknesses and flaws. I get to help others follow Christ by partaking of the saving principles and ordinances of His gospel. I will teach others of the sacrifice their Savior, Jesus Christ, made for them because He LOVES them.

I get to share the love, people. 

To learn even more about what a mission is, click HERE!

P.S. I'm really going to miss my hilarious friends at work.They keep life interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this makes me laugh, but at the time we had this conversation I was seriously concerned!! LOL <3

    ReplyDelete